Reflections on the First Trimester

This post will be a bit of a departure for me – no silly pictures, no food or crafts, etc. If you’re not interested in hearing about pregnancy – be warned and exit now. For the rest of you, let’s forge ahead. I don’t usually get very personal on the blog, but this is also like a journal for me and turns out, pregnancy is a big deal.

So, now that I’m 16 weeks pregnant, I’m a pregnancy expert. Naturally.

Actually, I’m still waffling between disbelief that I’m actually pregnant and scared to death that I’m going to be a parent in six months. I’ve spent a lot of time reading about what to expect throughout my pregnancy and trying to make healthy decisions.

My favorite thing so far has been my two ultrasounds. So unbelievable. Especially seeing the little babe’s profile at 12 weeks. If I had to guess, the baby has my nose.

Here’s a look back on my first 13 weeks.

First trimester symptoms: inconsistent nausea and vomiting, chest tenderness, acne

Nausea and vomiting seems to only hit me after I eat a delicious meal at a restaurant (I’m still waiting for this to go away). If I hadn’t just paid for my meal, it seems I can keep it down. So cruel. Luckily, as soon as I am sick, I feel better.

Acne has really been my biggest aggravation. I have always struggled with acne and have been on prescription medication since high school. After taking a pregnancy test, all acne medication became off limits. My skin has honestly never looked worse. I never knew I’d mourn the inability to use salicylic acid, but I miss it. So. Much. Acne has not only overtaken my face, but my chest and back are awful too. I’ve never been so thankful to hide under winter sweaters.

I’m also waiting for the most beautiful and shiny hair I’ve ever had that I was promised. Don’t dangle awesome symptoms in front of my face to only give me acne and puking.

What I’m eating: pickles, cottage cheese, chips and salsa, anything salty or spicy, and anything else. No real aversions, but meat doesn’t ever sound that good.

In the words of DadBoner, I’m craving bold flavors. Anything salty or spicy will do. Claussen pickles are the only pickles that satisfy the pickle craving and I eat at least one a day. Usually one at lunch and one after dinner – it’s like dessert. It’s sick and I can’t help it. I love them.

I also cannot get enough Mexican food. It doesn’t even have to be good Mexican food, sub-par Mexican sounds just as tasty, I’d even settle for Taco Bell (though I haven’t had to … yet).

What I’m reading: Alpha Mom pregnancy calendar, Babble, Baby Center, What to Expect, The Bump

Alpha Mom is so refreshingly honest and funny. She wrote a great week-to-week calendar that I always look forward to reading. Babble not only has amazing information but also great bloggers and very interesting articles, I get their personalized emails every day. I get Baby Center’s emails every week but I use their iPhone app daily and I love the information and the daily information breakdown. What to Expect When You’re Expecting is not only a new movie starring Elizabeth Banks (that I secretly cannot wait to see… oops… secret’s out), but also one of best sellers of pregnancy knowledge. I’ve found that the book echoes everything that I’ve read on every of the other sites and I love their app because they have a great pregnancy calendar to let you know exactly how pregnant you are and how many weeks you have left. I get The Bump’s weekly emails and it’s exactly like it’s parent website, The Knot. It provides you with a task timeline and helps you keep track of the hundreds things you need to accomplish before your kiddo joins your family. All of these resources are overwhelming and wonderful all at the same time.

What I look like: the same, but maybe like I ate a big lunch

I am really struggling with body image. I have gained almost no weight, but things have started to shift around. Now that I’ve announced my pregnancy, I feel like my stomach is being constantly watched. To my horror, I’ve been told that I look rounder and that you could see my pregnancy because my face looked heavier. At the point I was told these things, I was losing weight because I wasn’t eating much and what I did eat, typically came back up. These comments destroyed me. I am not a small gal to begin with, so I don’t have a cute tight tummy that is now looking obviously pregnant. I look like I have a serious muffin top and that I could use a salad and a few hours at the gym. I haven’t done any bump pictures, because honestly, I don’t have a bump. Yes, my pants are getting a little tighter, but I am not looking pregnant at all. Just chubby. That’s because I’m a little chubby. I expect to shed some tears as I continue to grow. I know that this is all part of this miraculous process, but it’s the part I think I will handle with the least amount of grace. For everyone’s reference, never tell a pregnant lady that her face looks heavier, even if it’s true. You’ll just make her cry.

What I’m doing: The same old stuff, working, running and weight training

I have been cleared to keep running, which is great, since I’ve already ran two races pregnant! One, when I was only four weeks pregnant and one when I was eight weeks pregnant. I’ve been cleared to keep training for the Cherry Blossom 10-miler, which I’ll run at six months pregnant. I’m so excited. I’ve increased my cross-training by adding The Bar Method DVDs to my workout rotation to work on more total body sculpting. It closely resembles ballet barre and I love it. It is very important to me to stay active through this pregnancy and I’m working really hard to keep it up.

So, that’s what’s going on with me. I also have some answers to frequently asked questions:

1. No, this wasn’t an accident, thanks for asking.

2. No, it’s not that hard giving up alcohol. Turns out a healthy baby is more important than a beer.

3. I feel fine, really.

4. Uh, no, that’s not my bump, that’s just fat. Thanks for touching my stomach.

5. Yes, pickles are a cliché and I don’t care. They’re delicious. I’d sure like one right now. Too bad I finished my second jar this week yesterday.

6. How’d I get pregnant? Gee, great question. Remember fifth grade sex-ed. As it turns out, our teacher was right. That’s exactly how babies get made.

7. Yes, we’re thrilled.

8. We are likely going to find out the gender, if the little one cooperates at the 20-week ultrasound. Let’s just say our child is camera shy and avoids the right angles necessary for measurements. The 12 week ultrasound was hysterical – I had to try laying on both of my sides, go to the bathroom, push on my stomach, etc. Kiddo wasn’t having it. I won’t be surprised at all if our baby has it’s legs crossed so we won’t be able to tell the gender. As long as baby P is healthy – I could wait.

9. Yes, we’ve discussed names.

10. No, we’re not going to tell you. Wee baby P gets to learn their name before you do.

Chaaron Signature

About senseandnonsenseblog

A Midwestern girl living the East Coast life with a little help from her friends!
This entry was posted in Chaaron, Pregnancy and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Reflections on the First Trimester

1. Roseanne Scurto says:

Charron… I love you. Your honesty in your journal is awesome!

2. Leslie Means says:

Love it. And who the hell would ever tell you your face looked round?! They need to be smacked. ;) Feel free to shoot me an e-mail any time with questions! I’ll be honest with ya! ;) Congrats to you guys!!

3. Kyie Kubicek says:

Chaaron, I really enjoyed reading your blog! Congratulations on the pregnancy, and I hope things start to get easier for you! Hang in there and enjoy this ride as much as you can! We’ll be anxious to hear when the little one arrives! Congrats from all of us! Kylie (and the rest of the gang) :)

4. Maggie says:

What a great post – especially loved the answers to FAQ! Can’t wait to read more about the Baby P journey!

5. Ashli says:

Chaaron-
    I think the first time around it takes thy bump a little while to become cute and apparent…it’s not just you!!! So excites for you and rp. Much luck!!

6. Erin Schroeder says:

Congrats, Chaaron and Reese!! And yes, pregnancy pickles are AMAZING…I only craved Claussens as well…but just don’t do like me and eat the entire jar in one sitting, and then drink the juice. All of it. It was like some uncontrollable force…I just. couldn’t. stop. And afterwards all I wanted was water, water, water (duh!), but my body couldn’t handle any more. So miserable! Anyway, congrats again! Fun to follow your progress on the blog!

7. Emily says:

So cool that we are going through this at the same time (I think I am one week behind you). Good for you for keeping up your running and whatnot. After finding out that I am pregnant, one of my kids told me, “Oh, I see. When I saw you yesterday, I thought you looked a little bit fat.” Gotta love the awkward cross-cultural communication!

8. Colleen says:

Chaaron this is one of the best posts on pregnancy I have EVER read, especially the part about body image. I think you spoke for a bajillion women. I can’t wait to join you in the Mommy Club! (No, not pregnant yet). We are so happy for you guys!

• Thanks so much Colleen! I hope I didn’t sound like I am complaining – because I’m not, everything has been so great so far. Just trying to keep it real! I can’t wait for you to join the Mommy Club!

9. Melanie kuenning says:

Congrats on the pregnancy! Love this post! I had to laugh at the FAQs. My favorite was the “how”. I had a lot of men say
    , ” you know how that happens dont you?” My response, “I was there” :) Unfortunately, people will continue to ask crazy questions even after you have the baby! Congrats motherhood is awesome!

10. First, congrats again! I am so happy for you! Second, I loved this post! Please keep up the journal.

I have been obsessed with all things pregnancy these days. (If I can have a baby one day it will be a medical miracle.) I love reading your thoughts because I have no doubt I will struggle with the same feelings, changes, body image etc… and of course those rude people who have no idea what to say and how to be appropriate. What can we do with them? Deserted island? It’s a thought :)

Sending you a huge hug and jar of pickles. (Claussens only) and p.s. I fly to the States today and my first meal back is always Mexican. Always.

• Safe safe safe travels back to the States! I hope you dive into a delicious Mexican dish once you get home. Yum!

I will most definitely keep up the journal. I don’t want to sound like I’m complaining, because it really has been fantastic, but I figure it’s always best to tell it like it is! I’m totally with you, inappropriate comments get you sent to a deserted island. At least until I’m ready to deal with them again! Every mom that I’ve talked to says that they don’t ever stop, no matter how old your children are. Apparently having a child opens you up to all sorts of opinions and judgement! Ha.

Again – safe travels. Can’t wait to hear all about your transition back to live in the States and the Spaniard’s new normal.

• Thank you so much! I actually just landed and the travel was surprisingly great. Now – onto situating life. :)

RE: complaining? I say complain away! I mean, say what you think and tell us how you feel. I never believe those pregnant women paint a picture of sunshine and roses. I am almost fearful of my potential thoughts if I have a child one day :)

p.s. I have no doubt you are a gorgeous pregnant lady! :)

• I can’t believe you’re back state-side! Can’t wait to hear how you’re situating!

Thank you so much for allowing me to complain! Feel free to tell me when it’s too much! If you and David have a baby one day, I can’t wait to hear all of your thoughts!

11. Love this post, Charron! Ironically, your MIL and my sis-in-law, Erin, both shared your blog with me today. And, I’m so glad they did! I can relate with so many of your FAQs. Great writing, and keep running!